Asian Markets - Directions and Locations

This is a general discussion forum for anything related to MEK, anime, and manga. Open to all participants.

Moderator: Officers

tallasse
National Coordinator
National Coordinator

Asian Markets - Directions and Locations

Postby tallasse » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Here are some locations of (relatively) nearby markets and directions to them from Denton. Feel free to post reviews and additions!

Asia World Market - Directions and Map
240 Legacy Dr.
Plano, TX
News Article on Store Opening

- This shopping center is brand new, in Northeast Plano directly across Legacy Dr. from the Central Expressway Cinemark. It is in a shopping center with several Japanese, Vietnamese, and Chinese restaurants. The supermarket itself is huge, and contains an ice cream shop, a couple of restaurants, and a cute things shop. There is an entire aisle dedicated to Japanese snacks, and it has the largest variety of Japanese food I have found in the area, in addition to being the only place I have found to buy Japanese milk tea.

May Hua Asian Supermarket - Directions and Map (George Bush Turnpike is a toll road!)
2220 Coit Rd
Plano, TX

- This supermarket in West Plano was my favorite store to shop for Japanese food until Asia World Market opened. It has a decent selection of Japanese snacks, and prepared food mixes, as well as fresh frozen ramen, yakisoba, and udon. It also has a couple restaurants and a cute things shop.
Mu Epsilon Kappa Society - National Coordinator
Alpha Chapter Webmaster
Alpha Chapter Advisor

sushiHam
Needs To Post More

Postby sushiHam » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:46 pm

どうもありがとうございました!m( - _ - )m

mindtailor
MEK National Secretary
MEK National Secretary

Postby mindtailor » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:35 pm

If any of you are in the vicinity of Arlington, there's a pretty good one I've been to:

Saigon Taipei Market
2206 S. Collins St.
Arlington, TX

Their website has some pretty random information, and pictures of the inside of the store. It's a Vietnamese grocery store, but they have quite an extensive tea aisle and right next to it is their snack aisle. There's a whole section at the end (not an endcap) for Pocky and other Glico products. They seem to have the basic Pocky staples (strawberry, almond crunch, chocolate), and a few other flavors that change every time you go there. I've seen Men's pocky, banana, caramel, milk-tea (fantastic!), green tea, black sesame and others among Pocky Decorer (super-fancy swirled kind), Caplico (the cone-kind), the inverse Pocky (like Pirouline cookies, but thinner), and Pretz. Giant boxes of Pretz. They also have that chocolate dippy stuff that usually has Hello Kitty on it, and a variety of candies and cookies.

They have Ramune in the chiller case next to the beer and fruit drinks, but it's always way too expensive.

They have a produce section in which you can find all kinds of strange fruits including lychee and jackfruit. When looking for lychees - you can tell they are ripe when you pick them up. Look for darker ones that are firm yet have give to them. You'll be able to tell after a few, some are downright squishy, and some of them are hard as rocks. Just please, don't be like my mother and start asking long, drawn out questions of the people that shop there - a lot of them only speak Vietnamese.

Also, if you head back down Cooper St. towards I-20 and make a right on Arkansas - there's a place called The Anime Store. It has a Bemani arcade (DDR, PPP, Guitar Freaks, Beatmania, Keyboard Mania), as well as a bunch of fighting arcade games (Guilty Gear, King of Fighters...)

If that was a bit much, I apologize XD
IN SOVIET RUSSIA, PIKACHU CHOOSE YOU!

thelonebamf
Iron Chef

Postby thelonebamf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:06 pm

If you end up in the Carrollton area- asian markets abound.

If you're going south on I-35, exit on Beltline (heading east). The first major intersection is Josey@Beltline. At this intersection (aside from the plethora of Pho restaurants) are two asian markets. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer the Vietnam Plaza Market (it will be in the shopping center on your right as you cross Josey)

Ramune: 1.39 a bottle
Pocky: from .99 to 2.99 a box (depending on the variety/size)
Lots of frozen dumplings to chose from (although you might want to bring a cooler. they will survive a ride back to Denton, I've done it for PAC night before. ^^)
Lots of other beverages including Lychee and mandarin juices
Of course, things like seaweed, onigiri seasonings, an entire isle devoted to tea and two just for noodles

Produce is hit-or-miss for some things, but I've never been disappointed by the herbs or baby bok choy.

The other shop (on the other side of Beltline) seems to have some different stuff in the way of snacks, and more in the asian-baked-goods department. Similar prices on Pocky- although different sorts (like GIANT 10 packs for 4.49) I recall them having more gummies and candies.

dragonpride0
Ran Out of Internet

Postby dragonpride0 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:34 pm

This market is usually the place where my family goes to. They have two locations.

Hong Kong Market

1816 E. Pioneer Parkway
Arlington, TX 76010

9780 Walnut St.
Suite 360
Dallas, TX 75243

Website

The market is in a huge Asian area surrounded by many Asian stores and restaurants, so its kinda hard not to miss. The one in Arlington is about to move to a new location somewhere on Pioneer (303) and Great Southwest intersection.

The market as a huge variety of snacks. About half the snack aisle is filled with different kinds of Pocky, Yan-Yan, Hello Panda, and other imported snacks.
The frozen section has many kinds of ice cream, however some will have a "unique" flavor ^^;

Also, the market center is very well known for the Lion Dancing ceremony on Chinese New Year

PSN: Syao-sama
Xbox Live: Sya0
StarCraft II: Syao 731

ZBTB7
Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Re: Asian Markets - Directions and Locations

Postby ZBTB7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:00 pm

tallasse wrote:Here are some locations of (relatively) nearby markets and directions to them from Denton. Feel free to post reviews and additions!

<u><b>Asia World Market</u></b> - <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=200+E+University+Dr,+Denton,+Denton,+Texas,+United+States&daddr=240+Legacy+Dr.+Plano,+TX&sll=33.152499,-96.862335&sspn=0.425405,0.6427&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=11&ll=33.152499,-96.883621&spn=0.425405,0.6427">Directions and Map</a>
240 Legacy Dr.
Plano, TX

<a href="http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/jan/17/asia-world-market-moves-out-richardson-bigger-stor/">News Article</a>
- This shopping center is brand new, in Northeast Plano directly across Legacy Dr. from the Central Expressway Cinemark. It is in a shopping center with several Japanese, Vietnamese, and Chinese restaurants. The supermarket itself is huge, and contains an ice cream shop, a couple of restaurants, and a cute things shop. There is an entire aisle dedicated to Japanese snacks, and it has the largest variety of Japanese food I have found in the area, in addition to being the only place I have found to buy Japanese milk tea.

<hr>

Holy shit! That’s like 5 minutes away from where my parents live. I got to hit that place up next time I visit.
Image Image Taste the rainbow!

Oukan Yumi
Needs To Post More

Postby Oukan Yumi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:09 pm

World Market
1400 S Loop 288, Denton, TX
(940) 381-9014

This place provides Japanese food, drinks, decorations, and other stuff I'm sure you guys have seen or had before.
I didn't think this store would also have the 1 minute microwave rice packs..and they are f**king awesome!
Ramune, Sake, and other drinks are available there. In case you want something, but don't want to drive that far
since you go to school here, stop by World Market than. :-)
Cake and pie is all you need to know

daxrim_sonda
Needs To Post More

Postby daxrim_sonda » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:09 pm

There are several in the Fort Worth/Haltom City area off of Belknap and Beach area. They are Vietnamese markets, however, they do sell many Japanese ingredients such as Mirin, Shitaki mushroom, ect. They also sell Ramune, Pocky, Dragonfly Rolls and such.

ChibiBritt
MEK National PR
MEK National PR

Postby ChibiBritt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

So...the Kroger off University greatly expended their Asian section. They now carry all kinds of happy food making things. Also pocky and Koala March snacks! I was mostly amazed that they carried the tofu pockets used to make Inarizushi. Soooo goood!

If you have never had Inarizushi...you can get it in the food court in the Union for cheap. It's good stuff!
I make weird sounds come out of my mouth for a living.

Miwako is cute love.

Public Relations for Mu Epsilon Kappa Society

Armetius
Ran Out of Internet

Postby Armetius » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Expanding on Britt's recommendation; across the street from the Kroger on University, in a shopping strip right next to a gas station, is an Indian grocery store (note; it is a rather small grocery store). In addition addition to Indian food they also sell some Thai food. It's been a year since I've been there so I don't know what they have now.

Going back to the subject of Kroger; the store now sells sushi. Don't get your hopes up though, because it's the same brand that's in the UNT union.

mindtailor
MEK National Secretary
MEK National Secretary

Postby mindtailor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 am

Also, the inarizushi sold in the Union tastes, to me, like pancakes and rice. Gross. I'm trying my best not to write it off completely since Jeremy likes it; it must taste better when made properly.

I should probably post something too. There's a Super H-Mart in Carrollton, if you take 35 to the turnpike and get off at the first exit (before they start charging you) and make a left (I'm pretty sure) it should be in a shopping center. They have a lot of stuff and apparently cheap produce, since I hear about it at work all the time.
IN SOVIET RUSSIA, PIKACHU CHOOSE YOU!

dragonpride0
Ran Out of Internet

Postby dragonpride0 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 pm

haha I've been to the H-mart. Its a Korean market which has a bunch of small restaurants in it.

Right across from the Hmart on Josey Lane in Carrollton is another Asian martet called the Carrolton Plaza

PSN: Syao-sama
Xbox Live: Sya0
StarCraft II: Syao 731

dork_rabbit
Needs To Post More

Postby dork_rabbit » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 pm

I love Super H Mart in Carrollton! They're stuff is so much cheaper than if you buy it at cons. Plus they have purikura. Yay for Japanese photobooths! They're so addicting though. ^.^;;
*~Dorky Rabbit at her finest~*

Return to “General Discussion”