Opinions on The Secret World of Arrietty (SPOILER WARNING)

This is a general discussion forum for anything related to MEK, anime, and manga. Open to all participants.

Moderator: Officers

manifest one piece
I Post Too Much

Opinions on The Secret World of Arrietty (SPOILER WARNING)

Postby manifest one piece » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:32 am

So I just saw Arrietty at the cinemark last saturday and really liked it BUT I was left with this feeling that the movie was incomplete. Now I'm not trying to bash the movie and I actually encourage and recommend Ghibli/Miyazaki fans to go see it specially on the big screen. But I was just wondering if I'm the only person who was expecting much more out the film. After I saw the movie me and my group went to my place to eat and we watched Porco Rosso because the group I was with had never seen it. Mind you Porco Rosso is one of my least favorite Miyazaki/Ghibli films but I enjoyed it more than Arrietty, I felt that story was actually flushed out even thought both movies were approximately about the same lengths.

Well the purpose of this topic is to hear everyones opinions on the film and I was mostly just wondering if I was the only one left with a feeling of incompleteness.

P.S. On a different note how come there are barely any showings of the movie at most theaters?

risa13
Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Re: Opinions on The Secret World of Arrietty (SPOILER WARNIN

Postby risa13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 am

Secret of Arriety seemed very peaceful and calm to me. I always like how Ghibli films portray nature. I would have liked to have seen a better ending, as in they showed what life was like after they moved to the village with the other borrowers. I mean, if they get eaten on their journey or if the village was really a lie, that might have sucked. But it's disappointing to see them floating down a stream and not knowing what exactly happened.

Nothing can be as bad as Only Yesterday. That main character was way too creepy. I did like the flashbacks to her childhood--the"catch a period" scene, and the farming but the movie was far more interesting in her childhood.

Return to “General Discussion”