Want to Make a Comic?

Discussion for Art Circle members and events.

Moderator: Officers

MissKatto
Needs To Post More

Want to Make a Comic?

Postby MissKatto » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey every one, sorry for not posting this earlier like I said I would. I've been caught up in stuff.

Ahem, Eric brought up the idea of creating a collaborative comic, and possibly even trying to publish a few copies of it. I think it sounds like a fun idea, and every one is welcome to post ideas here.

What are your opinions?

Would a one-shot or a multi-volume type comic be best? What genre do you guys like?

There's a lot to consider, and I am sure Eric would appreciate your input, and I'd like to hear your ideas as well!

Subby Donut
Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Re: Want to Make a Comic?

Postby Subby Donut » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:55 pm

If I helped, I would only be able to contribute as a writer.
"It's Space Time!"

shewolfyouko
Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Postby shewolfyouko » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 pm

I want to contribute, but I can only do traditional art...

KuriBear
Magical Poster

Postby KuriBear » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:22 pm

I already said I'd also help |D
I can kind of do traditional art, but I'd do better with digital art (especially with coloring).

I think we can just do simple one-shot like things at first to see if anyone's interested.
We can use a specific cast and their misadventures.

And if the comics gain popularity you can make them bigger or something ^^
Because doing a large volume manga/comic can be risky if no one likes them.
But if you're totally cool with that, we can do short volumes :d
"When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane."
Hermann Hesse

kurumilover
Industry Liaison
Industry Liaison

Postby kurumilover » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 am

Ooh, this sounds like an awesome idea ; u ;
I've done doujins both traditionally and digitally in the past, so I'm up for either and or :D
Also, I wouldn't be against teaming up with someone for them to be the writer and me the artist; I've always wanted to try that.

As for genres, school comedies would be too generic, but also fun to do.
Magic? Monsters? Mayhem?
I'm not sure. Would this be a one-shot all around using the same characters in each story, or would it be a free-for-all mashed in together?

MissKatto
Needs To Post More

Postby MissKatto » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 pm

I am really glad to hear that many people are interested. We can use every one's skills for aspects of the comic for sure!

We will need writers, planners, sketchers, inkers, and everything in between. If you want to help, we can surely find a place for you to help.

I'd like to give Eric a chance to voice any plot ideas he had, since this was his idea after all! But, I will also like to hear from every one!

I had a couple ideas~ I really love the idea of a short one-shot. I am not sure of plot ideas, but I will brain storm when I can.

I also was thinking it'd be humorous to do little comics with Tsuriko. Maybe a series of four panels, or just any format comics. She is the club mascot after all. :D

Anyways, I'm rambling, Post more ideas!

rademitrius

Postby rademitrius » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm

This is a wonderful idea. And I would be more than willing to help, but as I'm sure there are more practiced traditional and digital artists, I would endeavor to help in a writing capacity. Using the club mascot makes it easy to have a starting base and thus is also a very good suggestion.

kurumilover
Industry Liaison
Industry Liaison

Postby kurumilover » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:58 pm

If it's about Tsuriko, it'd be a cool idea for a bunch of different short stories of her adventures or something that different artists/writers and pairs can write and illustrate ^^

There can be a bunch of different formats such as normal comics, 4koma and the such. There could even be short stories actually written in about 2-3 pages or something with just small illustrations as well, and it could be combined into a short book (if published).

This way, if there's a bunch of different stories, different mediums and approaches can be taken, such as a mixture of digital and traditional media, or right to left and left-to right with a split in the middle or such c:

Idk, just trying to throw out some ideas ^^U Hope that isn't too confusing...

MissKatto
Needs To Post More

Postby MissKatto » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Oh! I like the idea of many different formatted comics!

Maybe we could even do something more art book styled; WIth comics, and illustrations by club members. It would be kind of cool to make a book that members could pre-order, and we could have printed. :O

And it'd also be fun to see the different scenarios different artists would have Tsuriko in~

KuriBear
Magical Poster

Postby KuriBear » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 pm

That would be alot of fun :D
And I have different styles anyways and it's fun to compare styles with others.
Pre-Order?
People would actually buy this stuff?
Hermann Hesse

MissKatto
Needs To Post More

Postby MissKatto » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:18 am

On DA, I have seen many artists produce Fanbooks with fellow artists, So I guess this would be very similar, but with art of Tsuriko.

I am not sure how much something like that costs though, and there isn't really telling just how drawn to the idea members will be. I am pretty sure they haven't done something like that before, ahaha.

Usually, the artists I have seen doing fan-books do pre-orders, to offset the price of printing. Printing out of pocket would be risky when we have no idea if any one would even be interested. @ v @

Again, it's just a random idea. Ahaha.

kurumilover
Industry Liaison
Industry Liaison

Postby kurumilover » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Haha, I love dA art books done by fans. My friend Michelle has bought quite a few, and I got one for Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. It features artist like KL and such. It's pretty epic. I think it was 12 bucks, but it was also full colour, with gold designs on the front and it was like, shipped from China o _ oU

Edward
Needs To Post More

Postby Edward » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I'd love to be involved, as well, as a writer.

As for publishing, there are services such as Lulu that allow you to publish books in both digital and hard copy formats, so you can gauge interest through digital copies and then decide whether you wish to print them.
~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~ | ~

shewolfyouko
Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Postby shewolfyouko » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:23 pm

I would LOVE to do inking. But like I said... I can only do traditional... (feeling so useless towards this whole endeavor ;~; )

KuriBear
Magical Poster

Postby KuriBear » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:27 pm

shewolfyouko wrote:I would LOVE to do inking. But like I said... I can only do traditional... (feeling so useless towards this whole endeavor ;~; )

That's not worthless >:U
You can work with that easily. There's scanners at the library and you can get someone who knows art programs to clean up the linework for you and stuff >3>
(actually that would make it easier by splitting up the artistic jobs)

And I wish I remembered how to do traditional inking Dx
I'm so used to digital it feels awkward to using anything but pencils for traditional art
Hermann Hesse

Return to “Art Circle”