Yaoi-Con News

Discussion for Yaoi Circle members and events.

Moderator: Officers

ZepysGirl
Ran Out of Internet

Yaoi-Con News

Postby ZepysGirl » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:01 am

So did you guys hear about the big news from Yaoi-Con? Viz is starting up their own yaoi imprint, suBLime! They're starting by rescuing Tarako Kotobuki's Love Pistols. They're partnered with Libre Publishing, which is apparently Japan's largest yaoi publisher? They've already announced some of their digital lineup, but they'll also begin printing next summer. Oh, and the digital editions'll be download-to-own, which is pretty much the bee's knees. It means that once you buy it, you won't need an internet connection to read it, unlike basically every other online manga source... Though Viz has said they'll rethink this strategy if their see their editions popping up on scanlation sites. So I hope no one else ruins it for the rest of us. >_<

Oh, and Digital Manga Inc.'s taking charge of Yaoi-Con next year. :3

Did I miss anything?

navaa
Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Re: Yaoi-Con News

Postby navaa » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:13 pm

OMG I KNOW! I TOTALLY FLIPPED MY SHIT WHEN I READ THAT ON ANN!!! Love Pistols is my current favorite Yaoi manga at the moment and I was so happy it was being saved!! So like is Viz getting it's own Yaoi department now or something or are they just picking up several random titles? What's the main deal?

ZepysGirl
Ran Out of Internet

Postby ZepysGirl » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:17 pm

They're starting their own yaoi imprint. Back in spring, I think, they posted that they were looking for someone to helm that initiative, and they picked a well known yaoi-blogger from The Yaoi Review to do it.

Basically, it seems like they've realized what DMP's known all along: yaoi sells. :lol: It's also a more stable market that the manga-market as a whole. In general, yaoi-readers are more likely to support releases, and are more likely to keep buying once they're hooked. Probably a combination of the average age for yaoi-readers being a bit older than mainstream manga (hence, more disposable income at hand) and how most yaoi stories are one- or two-shots. The companies don't have to suffer as much if one particular series isn't a hit, and they're less likely to deal with the same problem of diminishing returns that longer-running series have.

navaa
Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Postby navaa » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:19 pm

OMG NO WAY!!! I recently stumbled across The Yaoi Review and read that she got a job, but I didn't know it was THAT job! Lawl! That is amazing!! I am very excited!

KuriBear
Magical Poster

Postby KuriBear » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 am

I have one thing to say to all of this.
Viz has just gained a level in awesomeness <3
"When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane."
Hermann Hesse

Return to “Yaoi Circle”